How do I decrease pesticide levels in my body?

A Seattle study demonstrates how going organic can affect our health immediately. Researchers tested the urine of a group of typical suburban kids and found pesticide levels above those considered safe by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). After they switched the kids to organic versions of the same foods, the pesticide levels in their urine dropped overnight and stayed low. When the children returned to their regular diets, their pesticide levels shot right back up above the EPA’s safety limits.

If you want to go organic, save your money for the fruits and vegetables most likely to contain pesticides and those you eat frequently. As a general rule, fruits and vegetables with thicker rinds such as bananas, oranges, and avocados will have lower levels of pesticides than those with more permeable skin such as potatoes and strawberries.

Seasonal and local produce also have lower pesticide levels because they do not have to travel far to get to your table.

This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com

Continue Learning about Pesticides

How much pesticide is on conventionally raised produce?
Environmental Working Group (EWG)Environmental Working Group (EWG)
The U.S. Department of Agriculture’s tests have found widespread pesticide contamination on several ...
Why should I avoid organophosphate pesticides?
Phillip J. Landrigan, MDPhillip J. Landrigan, MD
Organophosphates are a class of pesticides that are extremely toxic; they can even be life-threateni...
Is There a Connection Between Alzheimer’s Disease and Pesticide Exposure?
Are Pesticide Residue Levels in Food Monitored?