What are treatment options for pneumothorax, a pleural cavity disorder?

For a small pneumothorax, no treatment may be needed as it will repair on its own. A larger pneumothorax may require the insertion of a syringe or a chest tube to draw out air. Surgery may be needed to repair a leaking lung if the pneumothorax is recurring. If surgery is not an option, the pleural cavity may be sealed using a talc mixture or drugs.

A pneumothorax, or collapsed lung, is the collection of air in the space around the lungs. This buildup of air puts pressure on the lung so it cannot expand as much as it would normally when breathing.

In less severe cases, the pneumothorax may go away with oxygen and rest. When a person is experiencing a large pneumothorax, doctors place a chest tube between the ribs in the space around the lungs to help drain the air and allow the lung to re-expand. The tube may be left in place for several days and often requires hospitalization. In select cases, doctors may need to operate to repair the leak.

Continue Learning about Pneumothorax (Collapsed Lung)

What increases my risk for pneumothorax, a pleural cavity disorder?
Risks for pneumothorax (air in the pleural cavity which often leads to a collapsed lung) are increas...
What are possible complications of pneumothorax?
Complications for pneumothorax vary by type. For secondary (occurring in people who already have lun...
What is a collapsed lung?
A collapsed lung is when the lung fails to expand (inflate) completely. This may be caused by a bloc...
What should I expect if my baby has a pneumothorax?
Intermountain Registered DietitiansIntermountain Registered Dietitians
When a baby has trouble breathing, one possible complication is a pneumothorax. A pneumothorax resul...