What increases my risk for hemothorax, a pleural cavity disorder?

Chest trauma increases the risk for hemothorax (bleeding into the pleural cavity). Other possible risk factors include blunt or penetrating traumas to the chest or lung, pleural cancer, and blood clotting problems. Other risks are heart or chest surgery, use of a venous catheter, and death of lung tissue. A hemothorax may also be a complication from an infection (like pneumonia) or other lung disease (like tuberculosis).

Continue Learning about Pneumothorax (Collapsed Lung)

What are the four types of pneumothorax?
Pneumothorax is when air gets into the pleural cavity, often leading to a fully or partially collaps...
What are possible complications of pneumothorax?
Complications for pneumothorax vary by type. For secondary (occurring in people who already have lun...
What are treatment options for pneumothorax, a pleural cavity disorder?
Penn MedicinePenn Medicine
A pneumothorax, or collapsed lung, is the collection of air in the space around the lungs. This buil...
What increases my risk for pneumothorax, a pleural cavity disorder?
Risks for pneumothorax (air in the pleural cavity which often leads to a collapsed lung) are increas...