What should I expect if my baby has a pneumothorax?

When a baby has trouble breathing, one possible complication is a pneumothorax. A pneumothorax results when air leaks from the lungs and is trapped between the lungs and the chest wall. If the air collection is large, it may need to be drained with a needle or a tube. Sometimes a special ventilator will be used. In other cases, your baby can just be watched until her body reabsorbs the air and repairs the ruptures in her lungs.

Continue Learning about Pneumothorax (Collapsed Lung)

What increases my risk for hemothorax, a pleural cavity disorder?
Chest trauma increases the risk for hemothorax (bleeding into the pleural cavity). Other possible ri...
What are the four types of pneumothorax?
Pneumothorax is when air gets into the pleural cavity, often leading to a fully or partially collaps...
What increases my risk for pneumothorax, a pleural cavity disorder?
Risks for pneumothorax (air in the pleural cavity which often leads to a collapsed lung) are increas...
What is a collapsed lung?
A collapsed lung is when the lung fails to expand (inflate) completely. This may be caused by a bloc...