What do I need to know about caring for someone with pneumonia?

When caring for someone with pneumonia, make sure the person gets plenty of rest and drinks lots of fluids. If the doctor has prescribed drugs, be sure the person takes them on schedule and finishes the whole prescription. Be aware of any health issues (such as AIDS, diabetes, or COPD) that might make complications more likely. Watch for signs that the patient is getting worse. If the patient has a high fever, is having trouble breathing, or seems to be getting sicker, call the doctor or go to the emergency room.

Continue Learning about Pneumonia

Dental Visits Ward Off Pneumonia
Dental Visits Ward Off Pneumonia
In the Friends episode, “The One with Ross’ Teeth,” Ross (David Schwimmer) over-bleaches his teeth for an upcoming date, leaving him with glaringly wh...
What is pneumonia?
Pneumonia is a lung condition in which the small air sacs (alveoli) and surrounding tissue become in...
When should I go to the hospital for pneumonia treatment?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
This happens when pneumonia symptoms are severe because the lungs are unable to work properly. Someo...
How Is Pneumonia Treated?
How Is Pneumonia Treated?