What are the complications of pneumonia?

Brian Gelbman, MD
Pulmonary Disease

Untreated pneumonia can progress and spread into all the lung fields, making it difficult to breathe; if severe, patients may need assisted breathing in the hospital. Watch pulmonologist Brian Gelbman, MD, discuss the main complications of pneumonia.

Continue Learning about Pneumonia

What You Need to Know About Pneumonia
What You Need to Know About Pneumonia
Pneumonia is a lung infection that can be caused by many different types of germs, including bacteria, viruses and fungi. One way to catch pneumonia i...
Is pneumonia deadly?
Celeste Robb-NicholsonCeleste Robb-Nicholson
Although influenza shouldn't be shrugged off -- it still kills a few hundred women annually -- pneum...
How can I protect myself from getting pneumonia again?
If you get pneumonia once, will you get it again? That depends on whether any of your risk factors h...
What Are the Symptoms of Pneumonia?
What Are the Symptoms of Pneumonia?