How can I tell if my child has pneumonia?

Many coughs are caused by postnasal drip from a cold rather than an actual lung infection such as pneumonia. So how do you know the difference? In general, if your child has a runny nose and is acting well between bouts of coughing, you may be able to just keep an eye on him at home. Although a cough can sometimes linger for a few weeks, it shouldn’t be getting any worse after 4 or 5 days. If your child starts to have fast breathing, the cough isn’t beginning to improve after a week or is worsening, or a fever appears, be sure to have your doctor examine your child because sometimes serious infections such as pneumonia can develop. In such cases, antibiotics may be needed to treat the infection.

Mommy Calls: Dr. Tanya Answers Parents' Top 101 Questions About Babies and Toddlers

Continue Learning about Pneumonia

Dental Visits Ward Off Pneumonia
Dental Visits Ward Off Pneumonia
In the Friends episode, “The One with Ross’ Teeth,” Ross (David Schwimmer) over-bleaches his teeth for an upcoming date, leaving him with glaringly wh...
Is pneumonia one of the common types of bacterial infections?
Pneumonia is a common type of bacterial infection, but a virus or fungus can also cause it. Although...
What is community-acquired pneumonia (CAP)?
Typical pneumonia, or community-acquired pneumonia (CAP), is one of two types of pneumonia, and it a...
Can Pneumonia Be Prevented?
Can Pneumonia Be Prevented?