How can I protect myself from getting pneumonia again?

If you get pneumonia once, will you get it again? That depends on whether any of your risk factors have changed from the first infection. Here are some things you can do:
  • Stay on top of any chronic illnesses you have. Diseases like diabetes can depress your immune system if not properly treated, making you more vulnerable.
  • Quit smoking if you smoke.
  • Get the flu vaccine every year and make sure you’re up to date on all vaccinations.
  • Eat lots of fruits and vegetables and drink plenty of fluids.
  • Wash your hands in warm soapy water regularly throughout the day.
It’s not possible to completely protect yourself from ever getting pneumonia. But you can dramatically reduce your chances by taking these steps to protect your health.

This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com.

Continue Learning about Pneumonia

What You Need to Know About Pneumonia
What You Need to Know About Pneumonia
Pneumonia is a lung infection that can be caused by many different types of germs, including bacteria, viruses and fungi. One way to catch pneumonia i...
What is pneumonia?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
Pneumonia is an infection in the lungs.
What causes pneumonia?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
Pneumonia is caused by germs. Germs that cause pneumonia are spread from person to person through th...
How Is Pneumonia Treated?
How Is Pneumonia Treated?