How can I protect myself from getting pneumonia again?

If you get pneumonia once, will you get it again? That depends on whether any of your risk factors have changed from the first infection. Here are some things you can do:
  • Stay on top of any chronic illnesses you have. Diseases like diabetes can depress your immune system if not properly treated, making you more vulnerable.
  • Quit smoking if you smoke.
  • Get the flu vaccine every year and make sure you’re up to date on all vaccinations.
  • Eat lots of fruits and vegetables and drink plenty of fluids.
  • Wash your hands in warm soapy water regularly throughout the day.
It’s not possible to completely protect yourself from ever getting pneumonia. But you can dramatically reduce your chances by taking these steps to protect your health.

This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com.

Continue Learning about Pneumonia

Could Your Persistent Cough Be “Walking Pneumonia”?
You might expect that if you had pneumonia, you’d know it. It’s reasonable to assume that a severe lung infection would likely stop you in your tracks...
What causes pneumonia?
Dr. James D. Fortenberry, MDDr. James D. Fortenberry, MD
Pneumonia is a lung infection caused by viruses or bacteria (germs). It can be found either by a doc...
How is pneumonia diagnosed?
It can be difficult to diagnose pneumonia, with its cold- and flu-like symptoms. To decide if you ha...
What Are the Symptoms of Pneumonia?
What Are the Symptoms of Pneumonia?