How can pneumonia be prevented?

There are lots of things people can do to help prevent pneumonia, for example, eating healthily and doing regular exercise. Another important one is washing hands with soap and water after touching animals, using the bathroom, and before eating. Pneumonia germs are often coughed or sneezed into the air and then breathed in by another person. So, every time people cough or sneeze, they should catch the germs by covering their mouth and nose with a clean tissue, throw that tissue in the bin, and kill the germs by washing their hands with soap and water. People can also ask their doctor about vaccinations, which are injections that help protect people against different infections and germs.

Dr. Brian D. Gelbman, MD
Pulmonary Disease Specialist

The best way to prevent pneumonia is to get your vaccinations; the flu vaccine is the most important way, and for those over 65, there is also a pneumonia vaccine. In this video, pulmonologist Brian Gelbman, MD, discusses ways to avoid pneumonia.

Pneumonia can't always be prevented, but vaccination can help keep you from getting it and make the illness milder if you do get sick. An annual seasonal flu shot can help keep you from getting the flu, which can turn into pneumonia. The pneumococcal pneumonia vaccine is recommended for people who are 65 or older, who have chronic health problems such as diabetes or heart failure, or who have weak immune systems. One shot usually provides protection for at least five years. The pneumococcal conjugate vaccine is also recommended for all children under two and for children aged two to five who go to group daycare or preschool. Doctors also recommend the Haemophilus influenzae type b (Hib) vaccine for all children under age 5. Hib can cause pneumonia in children.

Continue Learning about Pneumonia

What You Need to Know About Pneumonia
What You Need to Know About Pneumonia
Pneumonia is a lung infection that can be caused by many different types of germs, including bacteria, viruses and fungi. One way to catch pneumonia i...
What increases my risk of pneumonia?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
The risk for pneumonia is increased in young children and older adults, although it can happen to an...
How can I protect myself from getting pneumonia again?
If you get pneumonia once, will you get it again? That depends on whether any of your risk factors h...
How to Prevent Pneumonia
How to Prevent Pneumonia