Is it more difficult to diagnose pleural effusions in children?

It may be more challenging to diagnose pleural effusions in children, especially in smaller children compared to adults. For example, while breath sounds are decreased, it may be more difficult to determine which lung has the effusion, as the breath sounds resonate throughout the smaller chest. Whereas in adults due to the larger size of the chest, it may be easier to determine which lung has the effusion, as well as the extent of the effusion.

Continue Learning about Pleural Effusion

How does pleural effusion affect the function of the lungs?
The main effect of pleural effusion is its effect on the lungs. If the pleural effusion becomes larg...
Should I talk to my doctor about my pleural effusion symptoms?
To determine the underlying cause of your symptoms, it is very important to talk to your doctor. Sin...
How is pleural effusion treated?
Treatment for pleural effusion involves removing the excess fluid in the pleural cavity, keeping the...
How does pleural effusion relieve symptoms of pleurisy?
The symptoms of pleurisy include sharp chest pain when breathing, shortness of breath, dry cough, an...