What are the symptoms of plantar fasciitis?

Jill A. Grimes, MD
Family Medicine
The classic symptom of plantar fasciitis is intense heel pain that is worse after rest. If you wake up to go to the bathroom and those first few steps hurt like crazy, then the pain gradually eases up with more steps, then chances are that this is your diagnosis.
Jane Milliff
Physical Therapy

If you have significant pain at the bottom of your heel as you step out of bed in the morning or when starting to walk after sitting, chances are you have plantar fasciitis. Running may be impeded by a nagging ache in your heel that lessens after a few minutes. These are two very common symptoms of plantar fasciitis. Plantar fasciitis is the most common foot pain condition treated by health care providers.

James P. Ioli, DPM
Podiatric Medicine
Symptoms of plantar fasciitis or –pain at the attachment of the plantar fascia include:
  • Sharp pain with first steps in the morning, which eases after a few minutes.
  • Pain that returns in the afternoon or evening.
Common symptoms of plantar facsciitis include:
  • Pain at or around the heel, which eventually moves into the midfoot
  • Increased pain upon weight bearing in the morning or after sitting for longer periods of time
(This answer provided for NATA by the Gustavus Adolphus College Athletic Training Education Program.)

Continue Learning about Plantar Fasciitis

What exercises can help treat plantar fasciitis?
Plantar fasciitis can cause intense pain in the foot and heal, but you can get relief by practicing ...
How can I deal with heel pain from plantar fasciitis?
This is one battle you don't want to charge into. In fact, the more you rest your foot, the better, ...
How Do I Deal with Plantar Fasciitis?
How Do I Deal with Plantar Fasciitis?
Got Plantar Fasciitis? Get Heel-Pain Help