Could heel pain after sitting a long time be a sign of plantar fasciitis?

Anthony L. Komaroff, MD
Your symptoms sound like plantar fasciitis.

The plantar fascia is a tough band of tissue. It runs from the heel along the sole of the foot toward the toes. This common and painful condition is due to tears and inflammation of the plantar fascia. People usually complain of pain when they walk, especially after a period of rest.

Although this often occurs without any other associated condition, it is more common in people who are overweight, have flat feet, or after periods of prolonged standing, jumping or running. There is also an association between plantar fasciitis and diabetes.

The only way to know you have plantar fasciitis is to see your doctor. X-rays and blood tests are usually not helpful in diagnosing this condition.

Treatment options include:
  • rest
  • a change in activities
  • a change in the type of shoes
  • physical therapy (which may include stretching, exercises, or ice massage)
  • arch supports (especially if you have flat feet)
  • anti-inflammatory drugs, such as ibuprofen or naproxen
  • weight loss (this may reduce the chance that plantar fasciitis will return)
  • good control of diabetes (although the effect of this on plantar fasciitis is uncertain)
Overall, these measures are quite successful. See a podiatrist or an orthopedist for cases that do not respond quickly. Other treatments may include:
  • prescription footwear
  • a cast
  • shoe inserts
  • cortisone injections
  • surgery (rarely)

Harvard Medical School Foot Care Basics: Preventing and treating common foot conditions

Got gout? Or bursitis? Do your arches ache or your heels hurt? If so, you are among the three out of four Americans who will suffer some kind of foot ailment in their lifetimes. There are at least...

Continue Learning about Plantar Fasciitis

How can I deal with heel pain from plantar fasciitis?
This is one battle you don't want to charge into. In fact, the more you rest your foot, the better, ...
How does plantar fasciitis affect my body?
Dr. William S. Lynde, DPMDr. William S. Lynde, DPM
Plantar fasciitis has no affect on your body, other than the injured foot. Plantar fasciitis is pain...
How Do I Deal with Plantar Fasciitis?
How Do I Deal with Plantar Fasciitis?
Got Plantar Fasciitis? Get Heel-Pain Help