Why is the placenta important?

The placenta separates at birth, triggering the uterus to contract and for the breasts to start producing milk.

Continue Learning about Placenta & Fetal Development

What can I do to improve my placental function?
There aren't a whole lot of products out there that really tout their placental benefits so you may ...
What hormones does the placenta make or secrete?
Wesley Medical CenterWesley Medical Center
The placenta makes or secretes a number of hormones. Two of the most important hormones are progeste...
How does the fetus receive nutrients from the placenta?
The blastocyst is comprised of two layers-an inner cell mass and an outer layer. The inner cell mass...
What effect does the mother's health have on the placenta?
One of the reasons we care so much about a mother's health during pregnancy is because it will influ...