What effect does the mother's health have on the placenta?

One of the reasons we care so much about a mother's health during pregnancy is because it will influence the way the placenta functions by determining the amount of surface area of the placenta available for the efficient exchange of nutrients.

For example, smoking or having uncontrolled hypertension or diabetes can cause your placenta to calcify, thus limiting the area available for the proper exchange between mother and fetus. That limits the amount of nutrients that the fetus can receive and can lead to issues that have a major influence on your baby's health both inside the womb, as well as further down the road.
YOU: Having a Baby: The Owner's Manual to a Happy and Healthy Pregnancy

Can I get a cavity filled while pregnant? Will avoiding spicy foods make my kid a picky eater? Can I really increase my baby's IQ while she's in utero? Whether you're pregnant for the first time,...

Continue Learning about Placenta & Fetal Development

How does the placenta function?
The placenta basically functions like this: Mom's blood flows into the blood lake on her side of the...
Do identical twins have a shared placenta?
Linda S. Katz, MDLinda S. Katz, MD
For identical twins, having a shared placenta depends on where the egg divides. Watch me explain why...
Why is the placenta important?
Methodist HospitalMethodist Hospital
The placenta separates at birth, triggering the uterus to contract and for the breasts to start prod...
How do I manage my placental abruption on a daily basis?
If you have had a placental abruption, every day take extra care in everything you do. Many doctors ...