What can I eat to encourage proper fetal development?

Your child wants nutrients rather than calories, so concentrate on eating foods that don't come with labels. You want to avoid simple carbohydrates (i.e., white foods like refined sugar, pasta, white rice, and white bread). These foods force your blood sugar level up, which requires your body to make more insulin, and since insulin is already pushing as hard as it can, this can contribute to the insulin resistance already caused by pregnancy and push you over the edge into gestational diabetes.

Instead, stick to more complex carbs (think high fiber foods, 100 percent whole grains, Jerusalem artichoke pasta or brown rice). It's also smart to avoid saturated and trans fats (four-legged animal fat, palm and coconut oils, hydrogenated oils, fried and processed foods), since they cause inflammation, which can mess up the metabolic miracle of delivering the right nutrients to the fetus at the perfect moment.
YOU: Having a Baby: The Owner's Manual to a Happy and Healthy Pregnancy

Can I get a cavity filled while pregnant? Will avoiding spicy foods make my kid a picky eater? Can I really increase my baby's IQ while she's in utero? Whether you're pregnant for the first time,...

Continue Learning about Placenta & Fetal Development

What is fetal programming?
Fetal programming refers to changes in gene expression that affect the growth and functioning of the...
How does the placenta function?
The placenta basically functions like this: Mom's blood flows into the blood lake on her side of the...
How does the placenta form?
The general rule about organ development is that all of your organs are formed in utero and that's t...
Why is the placenta important?
Methodist HospitalMethodist Hospital
The placenta separates at birth, triggering the uterus to contract and for the breasts to start prod...