How do pituitary tumors affect oral health in women?

Although rare, pituitary tumors that develop in women could cause an abundance of growth hormone and skeletal bone growth, called acromegaly or gigantism. This can lead to the overgrowth of facial bones, including the jaw, which in turn could cause teeth to spread or crowd. Oral health procedures that might be required include orthodontic work, dentures, bridges, or other kinds of dental restorations. Pituitary tumors that produce too much growth hormone are also related to hyperthyroidism, Cushing syndrome, diabetes and high blood pressure.

Continue Learning about Pituitary Tumor

What are pituitary tumors?
Anthony P. Heaney, MDAnthony P. Heaney, MD
Pituitary tumors are mostly benign slow growing lesions that originate in the cells of the pituitary...
How long does a pituitary tumor last?
A pituitary tumor will not go away without treatment. However-many tumors never present any symptoms...
Why can pituitary tumors cause visual problems?
Marvin Bergsneider, MDMarvin Bergsneider, MD
The pituitary gland is situated right in the back of the nose. It's deep, almost to the middle of th...
Should I talk to my doctor about a pituitary tumor?
Talk to your doctor about a pituitary tumor if you are experiencing any hormonal imbalances or visio...