How often are pituitary tumors cancerous?

Anthony P. Heaney, MD
Endocrinology Diabetes & Metabolism
Pituitary tumors are rarely cancerous and do not extend outside of the skull. People can have locally invasive tumors that often require a combination of treatment with surgery, medical therapies and radiation depending on the individual circumstances.
Marvin Bergsneider, MD
Neurosurgery
Pituitary tumors are almost always benign. It's very rare for people to have pituitary carcinoma, which is cancer of the pituitary gland. But if the pituitary tumor is secreting certain hormones, it can cause problems in your body that can lead to serious consequences, including vision loss. Even though the tumor itself behaves benignly, the hormones it produces can be serious.

Continue Learning about Pituitary Tumor

Do children with pituitary tumors receive the same treatment as adults?
Marvin Bergsneider, MDMarvin Bergsneider, MD
The treatment of pituitary tumors in children is very different from adults because as a child there...
Should I talk to my doctor about a pituitary tumor?
Talk to your doctor about a pituitary tumor if you are experiencing any hormonal imbalances or visio...
Should I be worried about a pituitary tumor?
You should be worried about a pituitary tumor if you are experiencing hormonal or physical issues li...
What is the outlook for people with pituitary gland tumors?
Joshua B. Bederson, MDJoshua B. Bederson, MD
Tumors of the pituitary gland produce visual and hormonal impairment. Modern techniques have fac...