Does a pituitary tumor affect children differently than adults?

Pituitary tumors are not common in children. However, when they do occur they can affect a child in the same ways that they affect adults. Yet, because a child is still growing, impacts on their growth and physical maturation are much more noticeable. Such tumors can stunt the normal growth in children, causing them to be shorter than they would otherwise be. They can also slow puberty and sexual development in adolescents.

Continue Learning about Pituitary Tumor

How common is a pituitary tumor?
Anthony P. Heaney, MDAnthony P. Heaney, MD
Pituitary tumors are relatively common, affecting one in five individuals. However, it is important ...
How often are pituitary tumors cancerous?
Pituitary tumors are rarely cancerous and do not extend outside of the skull. People can have locall...
Should I talk to my doctor about a pituitary tumor?
Talk to your doctor about a pituitary tumor if you are experiencing any hormonal imbalances or visio...
Why can pituitary tumors cause visual problems?
Marvin Bergsneider, MDMarvin Bergsneider, MD
The pituitary gland is situated right in the back of the nose. It's deep, almost to the middle of th...