Why is exercise important before getting a cosmesis prosthesis?

The stronger a person is both before and after amputation, the more success they will have using a cosmesis prosthesis. Exercises to improve flexibility and build muscle are necessary and help in preparation for the work and physical therapy ahead. They also help limit swelling in the stump, which can interfere with a final prosthesis fitting. In addition, exercises keep tissues in the stump from tightening and reducing range of motion.

Continue Learning about Physical Disabilities

Early Intervention to Stop Stuttering
Early Intervention to Stop Stuttering
What do Winston Churchill and James Earl Jones have in common besides a deep voice and a robust stature? They were both stutterers. Stuttering that l...
How can voice software assist me if I'm disabled?
Multiple Sclerosis FoundationMultiple Sclerosis Foundation
Most of today's tech devices have features that make it easier for people with disabilities to use t...
Should I make an exercise schedule regardless of disability?
Jonathan PenneyJonathan Penney
An exercise schedule should always be constructed regardless of your restrictions.  If we do not set...
What does vision loss mean for veterans?
Challenge AmericaChallenge America
Vision loss means the lack of vision where it existed before. For many people, including war warrior...