Who pays for my prosthesis after limb loss?

The Veterans Health Administration (VHA) provides a wide range of rehabilitative care for veterans, which includes prosthesis, wheelchairs, and equipment for driving. By participating in the VA’s vocational rehab program, all veterans may get healthcare benefits from the VA. According to the Veterans Association, to be eligible for enrollment for healthcare, you must have:
  • been discharged from active military service under honorable conditions
  • served a minimum of two years if discharged after September 7, 1980 (prior to this date, there is no time limit)
  • served as a National Guard member or reservist for the entire period for which you were called to active duty, other than for training purposes only.
VA healthcare enrollment is a new system providing access to a comprehensive package of services. If you want to use the VA healthcare system, you must fill out the VA form 10-10EZ unless:
  • the VA rates you as having a service-connected disability of 50 percent or more
  • it has been less than one year since you were discharged from military service for a disability that the military determined was incurred or aggravated in the line of duty, and have not yet been rated by VA
  • you are seeking care from VA for a service-connected disability only.

Continue Learning about Physical Disabilities

Early Intervention to Stop Stuttering
Early Intervention to Stop Stuttering
What do Winston Churchill and James Earl Jones have in common besides a deep voice and a robust stature? They were both stutterers. Stuttering that l...
Read More
How does a speech pathologist help with stuttering?
Dr. Daniel R. Spogen, MDDr. Daniel R. Spogen, MD
A speech pathologist can help with stuttering by detecting both the frequency of stuttering as well ...
More Answers
Who is eligible for handicapped parking placards?
Betty Long, RN, MHABetty Long, RN, MHA
Ironically, many people who are eligible fail to apply because they are in denial about their disabi...
More Answers
How do I get a handicapped parking permit or placard?
Betty Long, RN, MHABetty Long, RN, MHA
Search online using your state name and “handicapped parking placard” for your state's requirements....
More Answers

Important: This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.