When should I replace my prosthesis?

The need to replace a prosthesis may be inevitable. The size of the limb stump can change when you gain or lose weight. This may lead to an imperfect fit of the prosthesis. Another factor is that over time and with use, the prosthesis can wear down. If the structure of the prosthesis has been compromised to the point of causing a safety hazard to the user, it must be replaced. Sometimes the suction that holds the prosthesis on has decreased, or there are cracks that lead to an unhygienic condition. If you experience any of these factors, see your prosthetist.

Continue Learning about Physical Disabilities

Early Intervention to Stop Stuttering
Early Intervention to Stop Stuttering
What do Winston Churchill and James Earl Jones have in common besides a deep voice and a robust stature? They were both stutterers. Stuttering that l...
What is the difference between paraplegia and quadriplegia?
Paraplegia and quadriplegia are two types of paralysis. Paralysis in the lower half of the body and ...
Can I stay active if I have a disability?
Piedmont Heart InstitutePiedmont Heart Institute
A disability may make it harder to stay active, but it shouldn't stop you. In most cases, people wit...
What does being disabled mean?
Ruth White, MPHRuth White, MPH
According to the American with Disabilities Act (ADA), an individual with a disability is a person w...