What are ways to manage speech impairments on a daily basis?

Coping strategies may depend on the specific kind of speech impairments people have. Some people with speech impairments find it helpful to speak more slowly and to be prepared to use alternative forms of communication, such as writing, if necessary. Staying well rested and managing stress will help, because speech impairments are usually worse when people are tired or stressed. It is especially helpful for people who have speech impairments and the people they speak to remember to be patient.

Continue Learning about Physical Disabilities

Early Intervention to Stop Stuttering
Early Intervention to Stop Stuttering
What do Winston Churchill and James Earl Jones have in common besides a deep voice and a robust stature? They were both stutterers. Stuttering that l...
What does being disabled mean?
Ruth White, MPHRuth White, MPH
According to the American with Disabilities Act (ADA), an individual with a disability is a person w...
Can I stay active if I have a disability?
Piedmont Heart InstitutePiedmont Heart Institute
A disability may make it harder to stay active, but it shouldn't stop you. In most cases, people wit...
How do I get a handicapped parking permit or placard?
Betty Long, RN, MHABetty Long, RN, MHA
Search online using your state name and “handicapped parking placard” for your state's requirements....