What types of cosmesis prosthetics are available?

Numerous choices are available today when deciding on a cosmesis prosthesis, so the pros and cons of each should be weighed. Standard cosmeses are made either from polyvinyl chloride (PVC) or silicone. Those made of PVC are less expensive, costing in the hundreds of dollars, but can stain easily and are not as long-lasting as silicone. Cosmeses made of silicone are more realistic looking, flexible, and generally last for years. Custom-made cosmeses, usually made of silicone and offering an uncanny lifelike appearance, are another option but can cost thousands of dollars.

Continue Learning about Physical Disabilities

Early Intervention to Stop Stuttering
Early Intervention to Stop Stuttering
What do Winston Churchill and James Earl Jones have in common besides a deep voice and a robust stature? They were both stutterers. Stuttering that l...
Can I stay active if I have a disability?
Piedmont Heart InstitutePiedmont Heart Institute
A disability may make it harder to stay active, but it shouldn't stop you. In most cases, people wit...
How are speech impairments diagnosed?
Children and adults who are suspected of having speech impairments will have their speech evaluated ...
What is the difference between paraplegia and quadriplegia?
Paraplegia and quadriplegia are two types of paralysis. Paralysis in the lower half of the body and ...