What can I do if I have trouble standing up from a seated position?

If you have trouble standing up from a seated position, try these techniques:
  • Put your hands on the armrests, rock back and forth, and count.
  • Ask someone to stand in front of you and wiggle or dance.
  • Ask someone to lift up your thigh and bring your foot one step forward. Quickly, have them do the same thing with the other leg, then try to stand up.
  • Bring your buttocks close to the edge of the chair. Keep your feet at least 8 inches apart, with one foot slightly in front of the other. Rock your trunk quickly back and forth a few times to build up momentum. On your last rock forward, bring your shoulders forward, just past your knees, and push down with your hands on the arms of the chair or the cushion while you straighten up to a standing position.
Parkinson's Disease (300 Tips for Making Life Easier)

Being diagnosed with Parkinson's disease can be distressing, and adjusting to the effects of the disease can be difficult. The second edition of Parkinson's Disease: 300 Tips for Making Life Easier...

Continue Learning about Physical Disabilities

Early Intervention to Stop Stuttering
Early Intervention to Stop Stuttering
What do Winston Churchill and James Earl Jones have in common besides a deep voice and a robust stature? They were both stutterers. Stuttering that l...
How do I get a handicapped parking permit or placard?
Betty Long, RN, MHABetty Long, RN, MHA
Search online using your state name and “handicapped parking placard” for your state's requirements....
What sports are disability-friendly?
Challenge AmericaChallenge America
Wheelchair basketball, hand cycling, sled hockey, and swimming are the most developed adaptive sport...
Are there any shortcomings of the Kurtzke Disability Status Scale (DSS)?
Louis RosnerLouis Rosner
Kurtzke Disability Status Scale (DSS) clearly has its shortcomings. First, some read it to suggest a...