If I'm traveling by plane, what should I do before I check my wheelchair?

When checking-in your wheelchair before boarding a plane, you can at least remove your cushion and sit on it during the flight. If you have an air cushion, keep checking it during the flight because the cabin pressure can cause it to over-inflate! For chairs with power rims, remove the power rims and battery and bring those on board with you. Make certain that they tag your wheelchair and give you the receipt in case anything is lost. You can also write your name and address somewhere on the frame of your wheelchair or use a return address label with tape on it, in case the tag gets ripped or lost.

Before your power chair leaves your sight and is taken away, double and triple check that your chair has a correct destination tag on it and a gate check tag; this means that they will bring your chair back up to the entrance of the plane when you've landed, so you don't have to pick it up at baggage claim.

Also, make sure you've removed items from your chair you wouldn't want to have lost or damaged - your backpack, your seat cushion, and anything else. You may want to remove the little rubber knob that easily comes off of the chair's joystick, as they aren't cheap to replace if they fall off. Just remember: the crew treats your chair like a piece of luggage... not always as gingerly as you would like!

Take your battery charger on the plane with you and stow it under your seat or in overhead. Just in case luggage should be lost, you do not want to get stuck for a few days without your charger. Most new chargers are fairly light and small - not like the old ones that weighed as much as you!

Continue Learning about Physical Disabilities

Early Intervention to Stop Stuttering
Early Intervention to Stop Stuttering
What do Winston Churchill and James Earl Jones have in common besides a deep voice and a robust stature? They were both stutterers. Stuttering that l...
How can voice software assist me if I'm disabled?
Multiple Sclerosis FoundationMultiple Sclerosis Foundation
Most of today's tech devices have features that make it easier for people with disabilities to use t...
What conditions are seen by a speech pathologist?
Dr. Daniel R. Spogen, MDDr. Daniel R. Spogen, MD
Speech pathologists work with people who have conditions that cause difficulty with speech (hearing/...
Who is eligible for an NED-II voucher?
To be eligible for a Non-elderly Disabled Category II (NED-II) voucher, you must be a non-elderly pe...