What is spastic paralysis?

Spastic paralysis is a condition which affects a person's ability to have control or use of their limbs. Muscles in the arms and legs, especially in the far extremities, may be rigid and move uncontrollably because of damage to the nervous system. Spastic paralysis can occur for a variety of reasons, such as an accident where the spinal cord is injured, but more often it is a symptom of a different condition. It can be caused by a rare genetic condition called Infantile Onset Ascending Spastic Paralysis (IAHSP), or by cerebral palsy, which occurs due to a brain injury around the time of birth.

Continue Learning about Physical Disabilities

Early Intervention to Stop Stuttering
Early Intervention to Stop Stuttering
What do Winston Churchill and James Earl Jones have in common besides a deep voice and a robust stature? They were both stutterers. Stuttering that l...
What is an NED-II voucher?
Multiple Sclerosis FoundationMultiple Sclerosis Foundation
Two agencies, the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) and the Department of Health and...
What is offered to veterans with low vision after combat?
Challenge AmericaChallenge America
Operation Peer SupportIn the United States today there are around 160,000 veterans who are legally b...
How can I navigate on a tech device if I'm disabled?
Most of today's tech devices have features that make it easier for people with disabilities to use t...