What is dysprosody?

Dysprosody is the least common neurological speech disorder known to science. This unusual disorder is also called pseudo-foreign dialect, or foreign accent syndrome, and is brought on by some form of brain damage. The disorder alters the way a person speaks - affecting the frequency, rhythm, and melody of the voice in such a way that it sounds like the person is speaking with a foreign accent, even though the vocabulary they use when they speak is the same. In specific cases that have been reported, a person who normally spoke in American English now speaks with a British-English accent. and a person who normally spoke Spanish now speaks with a Hungarian accent.

Continue Learning about Physical Disabilities

Early Intervention to Stop Stuttering
Early Intervention to Stop Stuttering
What do Winston Churchill and James Earl Jones have in common besides a deep voice and a robust stature? They were both stutterers. Stuttering that l...
How are speech impairments diagnosed?
Children and adults who are suspected of having speech impairments will have their speech evaluated ...
How long does speech therapy treatment last?
Dr. Daniel R. Spogen, MDDr. Daniel R. Spogen, MD
It is difficulty to say how long speech therapy treatment will last. Some problems can be fixed fair...
How can I navigate on a tech device if I'm disabled?
Multiple Sclerosis FoundationMultiple Sclerosis Foundation
Most of today's tech devices have features that make it easier for people with disabilities to use t...