What should I do if I have a wound where I attach my prosthesis?

Sometimes irritation or damage occurs to the skin where a prosthesis is supposed to attach to the body. This can make wearing the prosthesis painful or even impossible. Sometimes these injuries can lead to a dangerous infection. Consult your doctor since even small sores can become serious. The following symptoms indicate a potentially life-threatening emergency: the wound has dark or thick drainage or has a foul odor; the skin has turned grey, black, or is cold to the touch; or if there is swelling in the lymph nodes (found in the armpits and groin). You can lower your risk by using a well-fitting prosthesis and caring daily for the prosthesis and the limb stump.

Continue Learning about Physical Disabilities

Early Intervention to Stop Stuttering
Early Intervention to Stop Stuttering
What do Winston Churchill and James Earl Jones have in common besides a deep voice and a robust stature? They were both stutterers. Stuttering that l...
What sports are disability-friendly?
Challenge AmericaChallenge America
Wheelchair basketball, hand cycling, sled hockey, and swimming are the most developed adaptive sport...
How does a speech pathologist help with stuttering?
Dr. Daniel R. Spogen, MDDr. Daniel R. Spogen, MD
A speech pathologist can help with stuttering by detecting both the frequency of stuttering as well ...
Can I stay active if I have a disability?
Piedmont Heart InstitutePiedmont Heart Institute
A disability may make it harder to stay active, but it shouldn't stop you. In most cases, people wit...