What should I expect at my prosthetics fitting?

In order to create a custom fit for your prosthesis, you may need a few visits to the prosthetist. First, the prosthetist must have a physical or virtual model of the stump. A physical model may be made using plaster, but today it is more common to use high-tech modeling and computers to create a virtual image of the stump. After that, the prosthetist can sculpt the socket to be an exact match and fit to your body. On subsequent visits, your prosthetist will teach you how to use it, care for it and take it on and off. They can also fix any alignment issues or fit problems you may have in the future.

Continue Learning about Physical Disabilities

Early Intervention to Stop Stuttering
Early Intervention to Stop Stuttering
What do Winston Churchill and James Earl Jones have in common besides a deep voice and a robust stature? They were both stutterers. Stuttering that l...
What is offered to veterans with low vision after combat?
Challenge AmericaChallenge America
Operation Peer SupportIn the United States today there are around 160,000 veterans who are legally b...
How can voice software assist me if I'm disabled?
Multiple Sclerosis FoundationMultiple Sclerosis Foundation
Most of today's tech devices have features that make it easier for people with disabilities to use t...
How are speech impairments diagnosed?
Children and adults who are suspected of having speech impairments will have their speech evaluated ...