What are the different types of power wheelchairs?

Audrey K. Chun, MD
Geriatric Medicine
The different types of power wheelchairs include:
  • Travel power wheelchair: These compact models feature a smaller seat and are designed for portability and use in smaller spaces. They're best for those who require a part-time wheelchair in the home.
  • Folding power wheelchair: These are larger and more comfortable, but their size makes them less maneuverable than a travel power wheelchair.
  • Center-wheel-drive power wheelchair: These chairs are designed to be highly maneuverable even over rougher terrain and have a tight turning circle. However, they may not fold down small enough to fit in the trunk of your car and are heavy to lift when folded.

Continue Learning about Physical Disabilities

Early Intervention to Stop Stuttering
Early Intervention to Stop Stuttering
What do Winston Churchill and James Earl Jones have in common besides a deep voice and a robust stature? They were both stutterers. Stuttering that l...
What does vision loss mean for veterans?
Challenge AmericaChallenge America
Vision loss means the lack of vision where it existed before. For many people, including war warrior...
Can I stay active if I have a disability?
Piedmont Heart InstitutePiedmont Heart Institute
A disability may make it harder to stay active, but it shouldn't stop you. In most cases, people wit...
How do I get a handicapped parking permit or placard?
Betty Long, RN, MHABetty Long, RN, MHA
Search online using your state name and “handicapped parking placard” for your state's requirements....