What are the Veterans Affairs’ Blind Rehabilitation Services?

Today, there are approximately 157,000 veterans in the US who are legally blind. More than one million veterans have visual impairment that interferes with their daily activities.

The Blind Rehabilitation Programs associated with the Department of Veterans Affairs serve many functions to help these blinded or visually impaired veterans. The programs help active duty service members who have lost sight to regain independence and reclaim quality of life. In addition, the programs help to involve and integrate family members into the community and to assist in the individual homes to lower the burden on caregivers.

Beginning in 2008, the VA implemented a progressive plan to expand vision and blind rehabilitation to veterans and eligible active duty Service members with visual impairments that extended from total blindness to early vision loss. The Department of Veterans Affairs ensures that blinded or visually impaired veterans receive the finest medical and rehabilitation care, as well as cutting-edge assistive technology.

Continue Learning about Physical Disabilities

Early Intervention to Stop Stuttering
Early Intervention to Stop Stuttering
What do Winston Churchill and James Earl Jones have in common besides a deep voice and a robust stature? They were both stutterers. Stuttering that l...
Who is eligible for an NED-II voucher?
Multiple Sclerosis FoundationMultiple Sclerosis Foundation
To be eligible for a Non-elderly Disabled Category II (NED-II) voucher, you must be a non-elderly pe...
Can I stay active if I have a disability?
Piedmont Heart InstitutePiedmont Heart Institute
A disability may make it harder to stay active, but it shouldn't stop you. In most cases, people wit...
How can voice software assist me if I'm disabled?
Most of today's tech devices have features that make it easier for people with disabilities to use t...