What are the parts of a prosthesis?

Any limb prosthesis has three basic parts. The first part is the interface, which is the part or parts of the prosthesis that come into contact with your body. The interface is custom-fit to help the prosthesis stay on and be comfortable. The second part of a prosthesis is the components. These will vary depending on what limb and joints and functions you need with your prosthesis. Generally the components include an ending like fingers or feet, bars that function like your skeleton, and any joints needed. The third part of a prosthesis is the optional cover. Covers are cosmetic features that are designed to look life-like.

Continue Learning about Physical Disabilities

Early Intervention to Stop Stuttering
Early Intervention to Stop Stuttering
What do Winston Churchill and James Earl Jones have in common besides a deep voice and a robust stature? They were both stutterers. Stuttering that l...
What if I blunder when I communicate with people with disabilities?
Challenge AmericaChallenge America
Don't be embarrassed if you happen to use accepted, common expressions such as "See you later" or "D...
What training is needed to become a speech pathologist?
Dr. Daniel R. Spogen, MDDr. Daniel R. Spogen, MD
To become a speech pathologist, the following training is needed: bachelor's degree master’s deg...
How are speech impairments diagnosed?
Children and adults who are suspected of having speech impairments will have their speech evaluated ...