As a veteran, how can I gain the strength to cope with the loss of a limb?

In addition to losing a limb, dealing with the grief that follows is difficult. The limb loss can cause loss of control over other aspects of your life, especially if you were physically active. You may have noticed that those facets of life that once depended on your abilities and strength no longer do. Instead of being in control of your destiny, you may feel that the amputation controls every aspect of your life; you are simply a puppet on a string. However, there is a fine line between what you think you cannot control and what you absolutely cannot control. The key to dealing with amputation is to make sure you understand this distinction.

Start by setting goals each day to tackle a new area that you have lost control over. Perhaps you have been unable to do yard work. Start with one part of your yard and try to get that cleaned up. As you accomplish one project, think of how you were able to function and start another small task. Soon the yard is cleaned up and you have accomplished your goal. Taking baby steps after amputation will help you regain control of your life. Take one small step after another until you regain control and confidence in all areas of your life again.

Continue Learning about Physical Disabilities

Early Intervention to Stop Stuttering
Early Intervention to Stop Stuttering
What do Winston Churchill and James Earl Jones have in common besides a deep voice and a robust stature? They were both stutterers. Stuttering that l...
What if I blunder when I communicate with people with disabilities?
Challenge AmericaChallenge America
Don't be embarrassed if you happen to use accepted, common expressions such as "See you later" or "D...
What is the difference between paraplegia and quadriplegia?
Paraplegia and quadriplegia are two types of paralysis. Paralysis in the lower half of the body and ...
What are the treatment options for speech impairments?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Treatment options for speech impairments will vary according to the specific kind and its cause. Spe...