What are the treatment options for paralysis?

Unfortunately, there is not a cure for paralysis, but there are several treatment options available to reduce your symptoms and help improve your quality of life. Occupational therapy may be useful for relearning how to manage activities of your daily life, such as eating, bathing, and dressing. Physical therapy may also be helpful, because it keeps existing muscles strong. In addition, you may need assistive devices, such as a wheelchair or prosthetics. Medications may also be available to help with bladder control, bowel control, and sexual function. You may speak to a dietician about maintaining a healthy diet, or a counselor who can help you learn more coping strategies and get support.

Continue Learning about Physical Disabilities

Early Intervention to Stop Stuttering
Early Intervention to Stop Stuttering
What do Winston Churchill and James Earl Jones have in common besides a deep voice and a robust stature? They were both stutterers. Stuttering that l...
What does vision loss mean for veterans?
Challenge AmericaChallenge America
Vision loss means the lack of vision where it existed before. For many people, including war warrior...
What sports are disability-friendly?
Challenge AmericaChallenge America
Wheelchair basketball, hand cycling, sled hockey, and swimming are the most developed adaptive sport...
Can I stay active if I have a disability?
Piedmont Heart InstitutePiedmont Heart Institute
A disability may make it harder to stay active, but it shouldn't stop you. In most cases, people wit...