Should I tell my doctor if I notice my prosthesis rubbing my limb?

Yes, let your doctor or prosthesist know if the prosthesis is irritating or rubbing your limb. Sometimes if you lose or gain weight, the prosthesis no longer fits as it should, resulting in rubbing on the skin. Also, if you are more active than you were when the artificial limb was initially fitted, you may have a problem with rubbing on the limb.

To manage the excessive rubbing, the prosthesist may recommend using a nylon sheath next to your skin under the prosthetic sock. If you use a transparent dressing on the limb, it’s very important to allow the skin to have regular exposure to air. You will want to avoid using any dressing that adds pressure on the limb when the prosthesis is worn.

Continue Learning about Physical Disabilities

Early Intervention to Stop Stuttering
Early Intervention to Stop Stuttering
What do Winston Churchill and James Earl Jones have in common besides a deep voice and a robust stature? They were both stutterers. Stuttering that l...
What is the Disability Status Scale (DSS)?
Louis RosnerLouis Rosner
Most disability scales used in the United States today only measure physical impairment and the ab...
How long does speech therapy treatment last?
Dr. Daniel R. Spogen, MDDr. Daniel R. Spogen, MD
It is difficulty to say how long speech therapy treatment will last. Some problems can be fixed fair...
What training is needed to become a speech pathologist?
To become a speech pathologist, the following training is needed: bachelor's degree master’s deg...