What technology is used to help stuttering?

Although an electronic hearing aid style device is sometimes used to treat stuttering, its effectiveness is still under question. Currently, scientists are actually more focused on using technology to study brain activity in people who stutter than they are on using technology to treat stuttering. Their hope is that brain scanning technology such as Positron Emission Tomography (PET) and functional Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) machines will help them understand and better identify the causes and possible treatments for stuttering and other speech-related disorders.

Continue Learning about Physical Disabilities

Early Intervention to Stop Stuttering
Early Intervention to Stop Stuttering
What do Winston Churchill and James Earl Jones have in common besides a deep voice and a robust stature? They were both stutterers. Stuttering that l...
How can voice software assist me if I'm disabled?
Multiple Sclerosis FoundationMultiple Sclerosis Foundation
Most of today's tech devices have features that make it easier for people with disabilities to use t...
What is a certified orthotist?
Challenge AmericaChallenge America
An orthotist is a practitioner who helps people with disabilities of the spine and limbs. Orthotics ...
What does vision loss mean for veterans?
Challenge AmericaChallenge America
Vision loss means the lack of vision where it existed before. For many people, including war warrior...