Can I stay active if I have a disability?

A disability may make it harder to stay active, but it shouldn't stop you. In most cases, people with disabilities can improve their flexibility, mobility, and coordination by becoming physically active. Getting regular physical activity can also help you stay independent by preventing illnesses, such as heart disease, that can make caring for yourself more difficult.
Even though you have a disability, you should still aim to meet the physical activity goals. Work with a doctor to develop a physical activity plan that works for you.
This answer is based on source information from the National Women's Health Information Center.
Yes staying active even with a disability is beneficial for both body and mind. Medical clearance should be the first step, your primary care physician will know if you are ready. Finding the right trainer who has worked with the disabled is a great way to get started back into physical activity.

According to the  U.S. Department of Health and Human Services has found that people with disabilities are far less likely to engage in physical activity than those without disability.

You most definitely can and should stay active if you have a disability. Like I say, there is usually nothing going on that entitles one to eliminate physical activity completely. Sometimes that is a hard idea to comprehend. You may have to alter your program, you may have to alter your times, you may have to alter you mental attitude - so do just that! You can stay active and I can say that I have done exactly this. Never let a disability hold you back from a healthy lifestyle!

Continue Learning about Physical Disabilities

Early Intervention to Stop Stuttering
Early Intervention to Stop Stuttering
What do Winston Churchill and James Earl Jones have in common besides a deep voice and a robust stature? They were both stutterers. Stuttering that l...
How do I get a handicapped parking permit or placard?
Betty Long, RN, MHABetty Long, RN, MHA
Search online using your state name and “handicapped parking placard” for your state's requirements....
What is an NED-II voucher?
Multiple Sclerosis FoundationMultiple Sclerosis Foundation
Two agencies, the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) and the Department of Health and...
How are speech impairments diagnosed?
Amy RenoAmy Reno
The parents, the pediatrician and/or your child's teacher can refer your child for an evaluation wit...