What special concerns do diabetics with prosthetics have?

Diabetes a common reason why Americans lose a limb and use a prosthetic. One special concern that diabetics have with their prosthesis is that they may have poor circulation in their legs. That can slow healing and lead to infection. Also, diabetics may lose feeling in the lower extremities. If diabetics have an infection in their stump, they might not feel the pain sensation as acutely as they should. This can lead to serious infection and even further loss of limb.

Continue Learning about Physical Disabilities

Early Intervention to Stop Stuttering
Early Intervention to Stop Stuttering
What do Winston Churchill and James Earl Jones have in common besides a deep voice and a robust stature? They were both stutterers. Stuttering that l...
What training is needed to become a speech pathologist?
Dr. Daniel R. Spogen, MDDr. Daniel R. Spogen, MD
To become a speech pathologist, the following training is needed: bachelor's degree master’s deg...
What does vision loss mean for veterans?
Challenge AmericaChallenge America
Vision loss means the lack of vision where it existed before. For many people, including war warrior...
What if I blunder when I communicate with people with disabilities?
Challenge AmericaChallenge America
Don't be embarrassed if you happen to use accepted, common expressions such as "See you later" or "D...