How does spastic paralysis affect quality of life?

The loss of mobility can alter the quality of life of someone with spastic paralysis unless they know what to expect and learn to cope. For people who inherit spastic paralysis, their movements may not be affected too much initially, but they may eventually require mechanisms like canes or wheelchairs in order to be mobile. For people whose condition is a symptom of cerebral palsy, physical and occupational therapy is often needed to enable the person to live a relatively normal life.

Continue Learning about Physical Disabilities

Early Intervention to Stop Stuttering
Early Intervention to Stop Stuttering
What do Winston Churchill and James Earl Jones have in common besides a deep voice and a robust stature? They were both stutterers. Stuttering that l...
What is a speech pathologist?
Dr. Daniel R. Spogen, MDDr. Daniel R. Spogen, MD
A speech pathologist (or a speech-language pathologist) is a professional who is trained (master's o...
Are there any shortcomings of the Kurtzke Disability Status Scale (DSS)?
Louis RosnerLouis Rosner
Kurtzke Disability Status Scale (DSS) clearly has its shortcomings. First, some read it to suggest a...
How can I navigate on a tech device if I'm disabled?
Multiple Sclerosis FoundationMultiple Sclerosis Foundation
Most of today's tech devices have features that make it easier for people with disabilities to use t...