Should I tell my child's school about speech impairments?

You should tell your child's school about speech impairments. Keeping your child's school informed is important for his or her educational development. Though your child's teacher has probably already noticed his speech impairment, it is important to discuss your child's impairment for the benefit of his or her education. Talking to the school will allow you or your child's speech pathologist to consult with your child's teacher about communication strategies and ways to facilitate learning, for example. Most schools have special programs for children who have speech impairments to help them adapt; public schools are required to have services by law and are funded by the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (I.D.E.A.).

Continue Learning about Physical Disabilities

Early Intervention to Stop Stuttering
Early Intervention to Stop Stuttering
What do Winston Churchill and James Earl Jones have in common besides a deep voice and a robust stature? They were both stutterers. Stuttering that l...
What is a certified orthotist?
Challenge AmericaChallenge America
An orthotist is a practitioner who helps people with disabilities of the spine and limbs. Orthotics ...
Are there any shortcomings of the Kurtzke Disability Status Scale (DSS)?
Louis RosnerLouis Rosner
Kurtzke Disability Status Scale (DSS) clearly has its shortcomings. First, some read it to suggest a...
How can I navigate on a tech device if I'm disabled?
Multiple Sclerosis FoundationMultiple Sclerosis Foundation
Most of today's tech devices have features that make it easier for people with disabilities to use t...