Should I talk to my doctor about speech impairment symptoms in my child?

Speech impairments, especially when children have them, should be discussed with your doctor. Some speech impairments are part of a child's process of learning to talk, such as stuttering, but if the impairment worsens or sets your child apart from his age group, you should talk to a doctor. Children need to receive treatment as soon as possible to avoid problems in education and social development. Any sudden change for the worse in someone's ability to speak, child or adult, should be discussed immediately with a physician, since a speech impairment can be a symptom of another problem, such as a stroke.

Continue Learning about Physical Disabilities

Early Intervention to Stop Stuttering
Early Intervention to Stop Stuttering
What do Winston Churchill and James Earl Jones have in common besides a deep voice and a robust stature? They were both stutterers. Stuttering that l...
What does being disabled mean?
Ruth White, MPHRuth White, MPH
According to the American with Disabilities Act (ADA), an individual with a disability is a person w...
What is a certified orthotist?
Challenge AmericaChallenge America
An orthotist is a practitioner who helps people with disabilities of the spine and limbs. Orthotics ...
How can voice software assist me if I'm disabled?
Multiple Sclerosis FoundationMultiple Sclerosis Foundation
Most of today's tech devices have features that make it easier for people with disabilities to use t...