What is the rate of incidence for dysarthria?

It's hard to estimate an exact number of people affected by dysarthria because the condition has so many causes and may have a range of severity. If you have a brain or nerve disorders, or are older and in poor health, you have an increased risk for developing dysarthria. For example, about 1 percent of the population older than 60 suffers from Parkinson's, and about 89 percent of those with Parkinson's develop a speech or voice disorder as the disease progresses. Dyasarthria is also a common effect of traumatic brain injury and stroke.

Continue Learning about Physical Disabilities

Early Intervention to Stop Stuttering
Early Intervention to Stop Stuttering
What do Winston Churchill and James Earl Jones have in common besides a deep voice and a robust stature? They were both stutterers. Stuttering that l...
Can I stay active if I have a disability?
Piedmont Heart InstitutePiedmont Heart Institute
A disability may make it harder to stay active, but it shouldn't stop you. In most cases, people wit...
Should I make an exercise schedule regardless of disability?
Jonathan PenneyJonathan Penney
An exercise schedule should always be constructed regardless of your restrictions.  If we do not set...
How long does speech therapy treatment last?
Dr. Daniel R. Spogen, MDDr. Daniel R. Spogen, MD
It is difficulty to say how long speech therapy treatment will last. Some problems can be fixed fair...