What problems might I have with my prosthesis?

Some people experience problems with fit. The key to a well-functioning prosthesis is making sure that it fits well. A prosthesis has a socket that is held to the limb stump with suction. Loss of suction can cause the prosthesis to move against the skin. This can cause irritation and damage to the stump. Another common problem is phantom pains. This is when people who have lost limbs report pain in the missing limb. This could be caused by an ill-fitting prosthesis.

Continue Learning about Physical Disabilities

Early Intervention to Stop Stuttering
Early Intervention to Stop Stuttering
What do Winston Churchill and James Earl Jones have in common besides a deep voice and a robust stature? They were both stutterers. Stuttering that l...
What is the Disability Status Scale (DSS)?
Louis RosnerLouis Rosner
Most disability scales used in the United States today only measure physical impairment and the ab...
Who is eligible for an NED-II voucher?
Multiple Sclerosis FoundationMultiple Sclerosis Foundation
To be eligible for a Non-elderly Disabled Category II (NED-II) voucher, you must be a non-elderly pe...
What if I blunder when I communicate with people with disabilities?
Challenge AmericaChallenge America
Don't be embarrassed if you happen to use accepted, common expressions such as "See you later" or "D...