How can an occupational therapist help me with my prosthesis?

An occupational therapist (OT) will assist you in many ways with your prosthesis. First, you will learn all about the care and upkeep of the prosthesis.  Once you “get to know” your prosthesis, you will wear the prosthesis. The OT will help you go through different activities of daily living (ADL) or those things you normally do each day such as eating, bathing, dressing, personal hygiene, and more. The OT will evaluate your ADL skills as you wear your prosthesis to see if you are able to manage. Then, the OT may use exercises and training to help re-establish strength and coordination so you can do these activities on your own. In addition, the OT will show you how to use assistive devices such as grab bars by your toilet or tub so you don’t fall if you suddenly lose your balance with your prosthesis or without it.

Continue Learning about Physical Disabilities

Early Intervention to Stop Stuttering
Early Intervention to Stop Stuttering
What do Winston Churchill and James Earl Jones have in common besides a deep voice and a robust stature? They were both stutterers. Stuttering that l...
How can I navigate on a tech device if I'm disabled?
Multiple Sclerosis FoundationMultiple Sclerosis Foundation
Most of today's tech devices have features that make it easier for people with disabilities to use t...
What is the Disability Status Scale (DSS)?
Louis RosnerLouis Rosner
Most disability scales used in the United States today only measure physical impairment and the ab...
What does vision loss mean for veterans?
Challenge AmericaChallenge America
Vision loss means the lack of vision where it existed before. For many people, including war warrior...