How do I manage my dysarthria on a daily basis?

A variety of underlying causes, such as stroke or degenerative diseases, can lead to dysarthria. Work with your doctor to develop a plan that treats your specific cause and helps improve your speech. The following strategies may be useful for improving everyday conversations.

• Use short phrases or a single word to introduce new topics.
  • Speak slowly and make sure your listener understands.
  • If there is confusion or you feel tired, use a backup method like pencil and paper.

Daily exercises to manage breathing and strengthen the muscles used in speech can also help.

Continue Learning about Physical Disabilities

Early Intervention to Stop Stuttering
Early Intervention to Stop Stuttering
What do Winston Churchill and James Earl Jones have in common besides a deep voice and a robust stature? They were both stutterers. Stuttering that l...
What is offered to veterans with low vision after combat?
Challenge AmericaChallenge America
Operation Peer SupportIn the United States today there are around 160,000 veterans who are legally b...
How does a speech pathologist help with stuttering?
Dr. Daniel R. Spogen, MDDr. Daniel R. Spogen, MD
A speech pathologist can help with stuttering by detecting both the frequency of stuttering as well ...
What is the difference between paraplegia and quadriplegia?
Paraplegia and quadriplegia are two types of paralysis. Paralysis in the lower half of the body and ...