What can I do to make sure my prosthesis fits correctly?

Some problems with fit are caused by the limb stump swelling. The prosthetic may have fit perfectly, but if there is swelling, suddenly it is uncomfortable. Fortunately there are a few tricks you can use to make sure your prosthetic fits well.

• Wear a specially-designed "shrinker" (a tight-fitting sock) for sleeping.
  • Soak the stump in cold water for a few minutes before putting on the prosthesis.
  • Wrap a bandage tightly around the stump for a short while before putting on the prosthesis.

Continue Learning about Physical Disabilities

Early Intervention to Stop Stuttering
Early Intervention to Stop Stuttering
What do Winston Churchill and James Earl Jones have in common besides a deep voice and a robust stature? They were both stutterers. Stuttering that l...
What is the difference between paraplegia and quadriplegia?
Paraplegia and quadriplegia are two types of paralysis. Paralysis in the lower half of the body and ...
How does a speech pathologist help with stuttering?
Dr. Daniel R. Spogen, MDDr. Daniel R. Spogen, MD
A speech pathologist can help with stuttering by detecting both the frequency of stuttering as well ...
What does vision loss mean for veterans?
Challenge AmericaChallenge America
Vision loss means the lack of vision where it existed before. For many people, including war warrior...