Is flaccid paralysis preventable?

Flaccid paralysis is almost always caused by an underlying condition like polio or West Nile virus. Flaccid paralysis is a symptom, rather than an illness or disease in and of itself. You can prevent some of the underlying conditions for flaccid paralysis, like polio and West Nile, with a vaccine. Flaccid paralysis can also be caused by Guillain-Barre Syndrome, though. The source of this condition is still a mystery and cannot be prevented. It is a syndrome of muscle paralysis that typically follows a virus.

Continue Learning about Physical Disabilities

Early Intervention to Stop Stuttering
Early Intervention to Stop Stuttering
What do Winston Churchill and James Earl Jones have in common besides a deep voice and a robust stature? They were both stutterers. Stuttering that l...
Who is eligible for handicapped parking placards?
Betty Long, RN, MHABetty Long, RN, MHA
Ironically, many people who are eligible fail to apply because they are in denial about their disabi...
What if I blunder when I communicate with people with disabilities?
Challenge AmericaChallenge America
Don't be embarrassed if you happen to use accepted, common expressions such as "See you later" or "D...
What is the difference between paraplegia and quadriplegia?
Paraplegia and quadriplegia are two types of paralysis. Paralysis in the lower half of the body and ...