How do I get ready to use a prosthesis?

Flexibility and strength are important qualities for you to have when you are preparing to use a prosthesis. A physical therapist can work with you to develop exercises that will improve your range of motion and your strength. Another point to be aware of is that limb stumps may swell and shrink. This impedes getting a good fit for your prosthesis. Usually a tight-fitting sock called a "shrinker" is worn on the stump to shape it and to stop swelling. Since this shrinking and swelling takes some time to stop, the first prosthesis you have may not fit well anymore and you will need a second fitting in about six months.

Continue Learning about Physical Disabilities

Early Intervention to Stop Stuttering
Early Intervention to Stop Stuttering
What do Winston Churchill and James Earl Jones have in common besides a deep voice and a robust stature? They were both stutterers. Stuttering that l...
Should I make an exercise schedule regardless of disability?
Jonathan PenneyJonathan Penney
An exercise schedule should always be constructed regardless of your restrictions.  If we do not set...
What does vision loss mean for veterans?
Challenge AmericaChallenge America
Vision loss means the lack of vision where it existed before. For many people, including war warrior...
What does being disabled mean?
Ruth White, MPHRuth White, MPH
According to the American with Disabilities Act (ADA), an individual with a disability is a person w...