How can I tell if crutches fit properly?

There is a specific way that crutches should fit you. There should be about two inches between the top of the crutches and your armpit. The arm handles should be positioned so that your arms have a significant bend (about 30 degrees). When you're standing, the crutches should also be about six inches from your body and six inches in front of you. Do not rest armpits on the top of crutches because irritation and pain can occur.

(This answer provided for NATA by the Washington State University Athletic Training Education Program.)

Continue Learning about Physical Disabilities

Early Intervention to Stop Stuttering
Early Intervention to Stop Stuttering
What do Winston Churchill and James Earl Jones have in common besides a deep voice and a robust stature? They were both stutterers. Stuttering that l...
What is an NED-II voucher?
Multiple Sclerosis FoundationMultiple Sclerosis Foundation
Two agencies, the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) and the Department of Health and...
What does vision loss mean for veterans?
Challenge AmericaChallenge America
Vision loss means the lack of vision where it existed before. For many people, including war warrior...
How do I get a handicapped parking permit or placard?
Betty Long, RN, MHABetty Long, RN, MHA
Search online using your state name and “handicapped parking placard” for your state's requirements....