How do I take care of my prosthesis on a daily basis?

A prosthesis that is worn every day requires daily attention. The parts of the prosthesis that are in contact with the user's skin need to be washed every day. Make sure the parts are rinsed well and dried completely before use. Every day, or sometimes more often, the stump should be bathed with a colorless, odorless antibacterial soap. Putting antiperspirant and baby oil on the stump may also help the skin stay healthy.

Continue Learning about Physical Disabilities

Early Intervention to Stop Stuttering
Early Intervention to Stop Stuttering
What do Winston Churchill and James Earl Jones have in common besides a deep voice and a robust stature? They were both stutterers. Stuttering that l...
What training is needed to become a speech pathologist?
Dr. Daniel R. Spogen, MDDr. Daniel R. Spogen, MD
To become a speech pathologist, the following training is needed: bachelor's degree master’s deg...
What is a certified orthotist?
Challenge AmericaChallenge America
An orthotist is a practitioner who helps people with disabilities of the spine and limbs. Orthotics ...
Who is eligible for an NED-II voucher?
Multiple Sclerosis FoundationMultiple Sclerosis Foundation
To be eligible for a Non-elderly Disabled Category II (NED-II) voucher, you must be a non-elderly pe...